DEPARTMENTAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MASTER
1. The allowable duration of the program: for normal graduate students ranges from one year to four years maximum.
2. Graduation credit requirements:
Students are require to successfully take at least 45 credits, plus an English language proficiency test.
3. Course Requirements:
The basic principle is that normal students should not take more than 15 credits per semester, unless granted approval beforehand after consideration of past performance. Students can select courses from other departments under the condition that the number of credits from these courses should remain under a third (1/3) of the total credits being during the concerned semester.
4. Core Courses Requirements: The graduate program of Money and Banking has two divisions (groups): the Financial Management group and the Financial Engineering group.
l Core Courses for the Financial Management Group: Economic Analysis, Financial Management, Finance and Risk Management of Financial Institutions, Investment Decisions and Management, Options-Valuation and Application, Financial Econometrics, Financial Engineering and Innovation (I), Seminar of Financial Problems. Eight (8) courses in total.
l Core Courses for the Financial Engineering Group: Quantitative Finance (I), Financial Management, Finance and Risk Management of Financial Institutions, Investment Decisions and Management, Options-Valuation and Application, Financial Econometrics, Financial Engineering and Innovation (I), Seminar of Financial Problems. Eight (8) courses in total.
5. Academic Activities Team: The faculty of the department will select 3 to 5 students to form a small team that will responsible for planning of academic activities and courses related matters.
6. Thesis advisor:
Within a semester after graduation, the student should pick a thesis topic from his/her domain and seek a thesis advisor. The thesis advisor must be a faculty member teaching at department. In principle, each faculty member can only take up a maximum of 5 students for thesis advising.
7. Oral defense:
l After finishing his/her thesis, written in an acceptable format, the student needs an approval from the thesis advisor to take the thesis defense.
l The thesis defense is handled by a test committee consisted of 3 ~ 5 professors from NCCU or other schools (including the thesis advisor) recruited by the Chairman and the thesis advisor. Members of a test committee should meet one of the following criteria.
(1) He/ She was a professor or vice professor.
(2) He/ She is a academician, researcher or vice researcher in Academia Sinica,
(3) He/ She have a doctor degree and have accomplishment in their domain.
(4) Oral defense will take place publicly during the specific period assigned by the department.
(5) All the members of a test committee must attend the oral defense in person, and the oral defense should start only when all the members present.
(6) After finish the amendment pointed by the test committee, and approve by the thesis advisor, the oral defense is officially passed.
8. The course selection, criteria for the thesis advisor and member of a test committee, procedure for oral defense and score standard and the timetable for all the procedures are according to the rules of Ministry of Education and NCCU.